Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Doctor's Appointment

First item on the agenda today was a doctor's appointment for my regular physical. I met my doctor for the first time today, a nice, slightly stern looking, no-nonsense sort of woman. She's in her late thirties or early forties, and would've been pretty if she hadn't looked so severe. She had pretty dangling topaz earrings that matched her shirt.

We met under the best of circumstances. I am healthy, energetic, and still overspilling with optimism from when I was living abroad. Besides, I had an interview later in the day, so I had brought my designer bag, cute purple heels, and everything else to match the outfit. Of course, when I met her, I was fully clothed as well.

However, my doctor did not see me alone. She had an Intern. (Resident? Understudy? I'm actually not sure about the terminology.) Diana is a young, plumb woman, personable in a refreshing way. The Intern was learning, of course, and so did everything my doctor did.

This was well and good when they checked my eyes, ears, and mouth. It was okay, even, when they listened to my heart through my smock. However, it quickly became very... awkward when my doctor checked my breasts for lumps. Then the Intern--who had cold fingers--checked them too.

And of course I had been talked into getting a pap smear. Which meant my doctor got to put my feet in some holders. She then lubricated a clear, plastic device which she stuck in my vagina to stretch it out so she could see my cervix (and so the Intern could see it too). Then, after she was done with that and took it out, she stuck her fingers in my vagina to feel for it's healthiness (as she also pressed around my tummy, including on top of my bladder).

The Intern, of course, wanted to feel my vagina, too. It didn't really bother me, except being exceedingly awkward and embarrassing. But her fingers were cold.

Well, anyway, my doctor said that my "vagina looks very healthy."

So, this happened today. And four days ago, I was given a thorough search at the airport (long story not worth retelling). If I had a dirty mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment