Monday, November 2, 2009

Qualified Optimism

I consider myself a fairly optimist person. I believe in the goodness of humanity, and that everybody just wants to be loved (as an inherited social trait evolved out of necessity, if nothing else). The fact that some people are not loved, or do not know that they are loved, and therefore commit heinous acts is due to the unavoidable imperfections of reality. I also believe that if everybody did their best to do little good deeds, the world would be a better place. That should be quite self-evident.

However, I don't believe that the world is a fair place. I don't think that there is anybody who cares that you get what you deserve, in this life or after. So I don't believe in karma. I don't think that you directly benefit yourself by doing something good for the world.

I believe in luck. What kind of a situation were you born into? What kind of opportunities are available to you? That's all luck. But without hard work, you won't get anywhere with just luck. You might not fall very far, if you were given a very lucky position, but you won't get anywhere either. And honestly, is life really worth living if you make no progress?

So where does this leave me? It means I am mistrustful of good fortune thrown my way, because I'm well aware that it can change at any moment. This means that I'm greedy and hold on tight to all the comforts and wonders in my life, lest they disappear. I hope for the best, of course, but I plan for the worst. If I die sad and alone, what is the legacy I would want to have left behind? (Of course this is not what I want or what I plan, but logically, this is a possible conclusion of my life.)

This also means, don't get me involved in pity-parties. I am sympathetic with others' misfortunes, and am willing to help in any reasonable fashion. But if you're going to start talking about how you deserve more because you've gone through this and this and that, then leave me out of it. The world is not fair... and hence you never deserve anything for your previous plights. And anyway, unless you grew up orphaned in a war-torn country without enough medical supplies, I'm pretty sure I can match you tale for tale. But I don't. Because it's not the tragedies in my life that made me who I am, but the fact that I've lived through them.

I don't like drama. Life is what it is. You can either be happy or upset with it. It wouldn't change how the world turns. Learn to appreciate what you have, and you'll be much happier than if you complain endlessly about what "should be."

No comments:

Post a Comment