Monday, September 7, 2009

Grammar Nazi! (and other complaints)

Here's another obligatory post: grammar and people's posts in general.

I'm not usually such a big grammar Nazi. If you have a typo in a chat or a forum post, I don't really care unless you are completely unintelligible. In that case, I would respond with a universal "?". However, when you're posting something such as a blog post or your own profile--something that people will look at as representative of you--please pay some attention. (And use spellcheck. Something like "Hi nice to meet you yes i can be domanet or submissvae" is just impossible to read. [And yes, that was a direct quote.])

I'm not talking about the "a bacteria" mistake; that one is quite easy to make. ("Bacteria" is plural. "A bacterium" would be the singular.) Or not ending the sentence on a preposition (which is not even a rule anymore, for American English at least). But just the simple "it's" and "its" and "they're," "their," and "there." What you hear second hand is "hearsay" (not "here say") as in you heard someone say it. That is not grammar, per se (which is not "per say" and should be italicized since it's from Latin). The proper way of typing "and the rest" is etc., which is short for et cetera. If you type "ect," I can only think of "electroconpulsive therapy" (or at least, that's what wikitionary says).

Further griping... Be who you say you are. By this, I don't mean say who you think you are. I see people who claim to be artistic, and have terrible photos. Or people who say they are careful, and have typos all over the place. Perhaps you think you are blah, blah, and blahdida, but when I see your profile, all I can see is that you have zero self-awareness. And to want to fuck with people's minds (or your own) without any self-awareness... well that sounds counter-productive, potentially damaging, and generally unviable as a course of action.

And yes, I'm a smart ass. And yes, you're allowed (meaning "given permission," and not "aloud" as in "out loud") to be one as well. As long as you have some sort of humor. (The dark, sarcastic kind is the best!) But if you're obviously put off by my seemingly-surly nature and therefore have nothing to say to me, yet want to talk to me simply because I'm single, female, and young... Don't. I can chew you up and spit you out in two seconds flat, that's if I bother at all.

Yes, that's to all of you idiots out there who think that a craving for submission means doormat. It's really the opposite. Think about it: If I were a doormat, there'd be lots of people for me to submit to. They might not all have my best interests in mind, but I would not have the unfulfilled craving. What it really is is this: I am smart, loud, and bitchy enough to put down any and all potential idiots (which really doesn't take much, since they are potential idiots). Even my ex said I'm the "controlling" sort. So most people I've met--even the more dominant ones--are quite happy to let me take the lead. And that's why I'm sitting here, searching for something I do not yet have.

Let me put it this way: I'm looking for the one who is able and willing to dominate me. But the rest of you who can't prove that you are smarter (difficult... and yes, that includes grammar and spelling!), stronger (not difficult), and have my interests at heart at least as much as your own (very difficult), you are beneath me. Or at best, only my equal.

1 comment:

  1. Italics? Seriously? I thought -I- was bad about grammar. Yes, grammar Nazi would be the appropriate term, especially when italics are only available in a small percentage of media. Even many websites have italics disabled for things such as comments, forum postings, etc. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest that the organic nature of language combined with the internet's idiosyncrasies is very quickly pushing italics as a correct grammar requirement out of the language.

    Oh, and yes, that little "etc." there at the end of that sentence is me poking your grammar Nazi with a stick. :P

    ReplyDelete